Founded in May 2008, TAG is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization serving gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and straight allies in East Texas. TAG exists to educate the public on issues specifically affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender persons, as well as their families and friends, (b) intends to conduct activities aimed at the elimination of prejudice, discrimination, isolation, and bullying of such persons, and (c) promotes awareness of injustices perpetrated against and the need for the defense of human and civil rights of such persons.
TAG's Governing Board meets the 4th Wednesday of each month at 6 pm at The Well (3320 Troup Hwy, Ste 230 Tyler, Texas 75701. Guests and visitors are always welcome.
TAG, firmly planted in the spirit of true community, embraces the concept of strength in numbers, believing we can accomplish more together than we could ever hope to achieve alone. TAG is fed and energized by selfless love and compassion, understanding that there are times when each of us may need a helping hand or a sympathetic ear. TAG promotes an environment where all may feel free to be themselves without fear of repression or repercussion and where all are encouraged to share their knowledge and support with others. TAG seeks inclusion and understanding as it stands against hate and violence, whether physical or emotional. As we celebrate our own immensely diverse community of LGBTQ&SA, we strive to comfort and assist those affected by negative forces in our society and families.
TAG promotes community wellness and celebrates our diversity through support, education, outreach, and advocacy.
1. We believe in the inherent dignity of and have respect for all people.
2. We believe we must work together with mutual trust to build a community.
3. We believe community should provide comfort through courtesy and hospitality.
4. We believe honest, unbiased communication is the basis for understanding.
5. We respect the diversity of cultures.
6. We believe in educating ourselves, our families, and our community.
7. We believe each individual’s opinions are valuable.
The TAG Board is made up of volunteers representing the local community.
Jay Hilburn, Chair
Vacant, Vice Chair
Shannon Rose, Secretary
Jennifer Gower, Treasurer